© 2009 Smithyman & Zakoura, All rights reserved.
James P. Zakoura
Energy and Public Utility Law
Corporate and Administrative Law
University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- Bachelor of Science (with distinction), English Education, 1970
University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas
- Member, Board of Editors, Law Review, 1971-1972
Kansas Bar, 1972
United States District Court for the District of Kansas, 1972
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1997
United States Supreme Court, 1997
Litigation and Legal Experience
- Regularly appears before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Kansas Corporation Commission and the Missouri Public Service Commission on energy and public utility regulatory matters.
- Regularly appears to address natural gas, crude oil, refined petroleum products, natural gas liquids products, telephone and communication systems, water, and pipeline issues.
- Represents various consortiums and individual clients concerning energy acquisition and sale, negotiation of industrial energy purchase, merger, acquisition, financing and sale of entities within these industries.
Energy/Public Utility Litigation
Frequently represents entities consuming energy and/or publicly regulated commodities in trial and appeal proceedings. Representative cases include:
- JP Morgan Trust Co. Nat. Ass'n v. Mid-America Pipeline Co., 2006 WL 302758 (D.Kan.)
- Kansas Industrial Consumers v. State Corp. Comm'n
- Western Resources, Inc. v. State Corp. Comm'n of State of Kan.
- Farmland Industries v. Kansas Corp. Comm'n
- Kansas Pipeline Partnership v. State Corp. Comm'n
- Williams Natural Gas Co. v. State Corp. Comm'n of State of Kan., 22 Kan.App.2d 326, 916 P.2d 52 (1996)
- Barton Solvents, Inc. v. Southwest Petro-Chem, Inc.
- In re Department of Energy Stripper Well Exemption Litigation
Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer Designation, Public Utilities, 2005
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Kansas Corporation Commission
Kansas Bar Association
Johnson County Bar Association