© 2009 Smithyman & Zakoura, All rights reserved.
Lee M. Smithyman
Business and Insurance Litigation
Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Science, Top 2%, Administration and Management Science, 1970
- Master of Science, Industrial Administration, 1970
Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
- Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, 1976
United States Army, 1970-1974
- Captain, Air Defense Artillery
- Airborne and Ranger School Completion
- Third Infantry Division (Germany)
- Battalion Adjutant - 3rd Bn/67th Artillery
- Brigade Legal Officer - 3rd Infantry Division Artillery
- Army Commendation Medal
Kansas Bar, 1977
United States District Court for the District of Kansas, 1977
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1987
Missouri Bar, 1991
United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 1991
United States Tax Court, 1997
United States Supreme Court, 1997
Oklahoma Bar, 2010
American Arbitration Association, Licensed Arbitrator and Mediator
Litigation and Legal Experience
Recovered and collected over $30
million jury verdicts for corporate clients in 2015
Recovered and collected over $25 million for corporate clients in 2007 and 2008.
Obtained and collected a jury verdict of $4.2 Million in actual and punitive damages for Farmland Industries in litigation against Petrolite,
Inc. in Harris County, Texas in 1998.
CLICK ON THE REPRESENTATIVE CASES TO REVIEW THE
- Aklaghi v. Berry,
294 F.Supp.2d 1238 (D.Kan. 2003)
- Time Warner Entertainment Co., LP v. Everest Midwest Licensee, LLC
- Tomita v. University of Kansas Medical Center,
227 F.Supp.2d 1171 (D.Kan. 2002)
- Caldwell-Baker v. Southern Illinois Railcar Co.
- J. C. Nichols Co. v. Osborn,
12 F.Supp.2d 1196 (D.Kan. 1998)
- Callicrate v. Farmland Industries, Inc.,
139 F.3d 1336 (10th Cir. 1998)
- Sithon Maritime Co. v. Holiday Mansion
- Zenda Grain & Supply Co. v. Farmland Industries, Inc.,
20 Kan.App.2d 728 (Kan.App. 1995)
- Ballou v. University of Kansas Medical Center
Obtained $1.95 Million for Reorganized FLI,
Inc. on claim against National Union Fire Insurance,
Lloyds of London, et al., through settlement in February
Click on the representative
cases to review the decisions:
- Farmland Industries v. National Union, et al.
- Med James, Inc. v. Barnes,
31 Kan.App.2d 89, 61 P.3d 86 (Kan.App. 2003)
- Turner & Boisseau, Chartered v. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.
- Walters v. Monarch Life Insurance Co.
General Business Law
Served as corporate counsel to Kansas City area corporations for more than 15 years, including:
- CZ-USA, Inc.
- Domestic Fastener & Forge, Inc.
- Encompas Corporation
- Propay, L.L.C.
- Schifman, Remley, & Associates, Inc.
- Walsh & Stverak, L.L.C.
- Yolotek, L.L.C.
American Trial Lawyers Association
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Kansas
Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer Designation
- Business Litigation, 2005–present
Million Dollar Advocates Forum Member
Tenth Judicial District Nominating Commission, Elected 2004
Kansas Bar Association Board of Governors, 2005–2010
Kansas Bar Association President,
Earl E. O'Connor Inn of Court, Master Emeritus
Johnson County Ethics Committee, Investigator since 1996
Kansas Board of Discipline, Board Member
Kansas Bar Association
Missouri Bar Association
Wyandotte County Bar Association
Johnson County Bar Association